Five phases of a maximum of $1 million each were identified. While these efforts do not replace the need for a more modern facility, the proposed improvements will allow the University to upgrade the most critical areas while funding for the larger expansion project is procured.
The Walter Clinton Jackson Library at the University of North Carolina opened in the summer of 1950 as a two-story brick structure with a daylit basement. In 1973, it received a nine-story tower addition. A 2007 Campus Master Plan identified the need for another addition, reflective of the library’s changing role as a technology and information center on a growing campus; however, it is likely five to ten years before that goal will be realized. Thus, the University opted to pursue a space assessment study to identify smaller projects that could be implemented sooner, phasing each to allow for ongoing functionality of the library.